WHAT TO EXPECT WHEN SELLING YOUR HOME OR PROPERTY
During the selling process and beyond it is important to keep the lines of communication open. Don’t hesitate to contact us. TEAM THOMSON is here for you every step of the way to make your selling experience the best possible one. It is our pleasure and honour to work with you during such an important and exciting time and we look forward to helping you in the future. Here are the steps outlined to guide you through the process.
PLEASE NOTE: These steps are guidelines. There may be other circumstances specific to the sale of your home. We are here to help you with those issues and if not direct you to someone who can. This may include things like zoning permits, building questions, tenancies, non-Canadian residencies, power of attorney and tax related questions.
- Meet with us and begin the home/property selling journey knowing you have our commitment to service excellence as we always strive to exceed your expectations.
- We bring a comprehensive comparative market evaluation to determine the best selling price for your home or property.
- Together we develop the most advantageous strategy to get your home or property sold for the highest price possible in a time frame that works for you.
- The listing agreement is signed.
- All procedures regarding your home showings are agreed to.
- All home or property preparation (including staging) decisions and timing are made.
- Once these preparations are complete. Take home or property photos, set up a virtual tour and take accurate measurements.
- Discuss how to create maximum curb appeal and implement those strategies, then the “FOR SALE” sign goes up on the lawn.
- Your home is now available for showings.
- We start marketing your home or property.
- An agent open house is held and the feedback is collected and reviewed.
- A public open house is held if that is part of your marketing plan and all the feedback is reviewed.
- At any time during this process an offer on your home or property may come in. You will be informed of any and all offers written or expected as soon as we’ve been notified.
- A time will be set to meet the buyer’s representative to review or negotiate the offer.
- Once agreed upon the agreement is finalized and you will receive a copy for your records.
- The buyers deposit monies in the form of a certified cheque or bank draft (unless otherwise specified) will be held by my brokerage within 24 hours of an agreement being reached. If this falls on a weekend then it will be the next business day.
- If a condition of the agreement then a home inspection will be conducted within the stated time limits.
- If a condition of the agreement then financing arrangements for the purchaser will be finalized within the stated time limits.
- All conditions as applicable on the Agreement of Purchase and Sale will be waived or amended as required and you will receive copies of all signed paperwork for your files.
- The Agreement of Purchase and Sale and all accompanying documentation (waivers, amendments) will be forwarded to your lawyer and your lawyer will review all documentation.
- Start packing and book movers.
- Contact all utility, phone cable companies, post office and alarm service providers to advise them of your moving date.
- Contact your home or property insurance and let them know of the closing date. DO NOT CANCEL insurance until the closing date is confirmed. On occasion, the closing does not take place as planned and you will be required to maintain insurance on the property.
- Prior to meeting with your lawyer, you will be required to provide them with copies of your deed, most recent mortgage statement, most recent property tax bill, the property survey if you have one in your possession and if your property is a condominium, your condo corporation information will be required.
- You will meet with your lawyer the week of closing to sign all the documentation to transfer title of your home to the purchasers. You will be required to provide government photo ID at the time of signing as well as the keys to the property.
- On the day of closing the contract stipulates that the purchaser will have access to the home or property by 6:00pm so you need to be out of the house by that time.
- All other keys, chattels, instructions manuals for chattel/fixtures can be left at the home for the purchasers.
- All money transfers will take place on the closing date as per the instructions from your lawyer. If you are expecting proceeds from the sale, your lawyer will advise you to pick up your cheque from them directly.